Office of the City Clerk
The Office of the City Clerk assists the taxpayers and residents of the City of Johnstown by providing a variety of diverse services. These services include: processing birth, death and marriage certificates, vendors/solicitors, games of chance/bingo, and several other municipal licenses; issue Conservation Licenses; the administration of elections within the City of Johnstown and, where law permits, providing access to city records.
The City Clerk also serves as the Clerk to the Common Council and works with the legislative body in the management of agendas, meetings and other Charter-mandated activities.
To learn more about the general powers & duties of the City Clerk – view Section 8.0 of our charter.
Dogs must be licensed by the age of 4 months.
*Proof of current rabies must be provided in order to license your dog.
City of Johnstown residents must apply for a permit to use the Fulton County landfill on Mud Road.
Permits: $ 35.00 (valid from January 1st -December 31st)
Contact the City Clerk’s Office for questions or visit the Fulton County Dept. of Solid Waste.
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
-proof of age/identification (birth certificate and driver’s license)
-if previously married, all executed decrees of divorce must be indicated and provided.
-Genealogy: $11.00 for each name that you are researching.
-Certified Vital Records: $10.00 for each certified copy requested.
Checks / Money orders should be made payable to the “City of Johnstown” and requests for Genealogy, Birth, Death & Marriage Records should be mailed to City Hall, PO Box 160 33-41 E. Main Street, Johnstown NY 12095.
Additional information can be found at the New York State Department of Health.
HUNTING & FISHING LICENSES
All persons applying for any Conservation License must present proof of residency. Acceptable proof is: A NYS Driver’s license, NYS Non – Driver’s ID, W-2’s, current Voter Registration Card, bank statements, utility bill or major credit card bill.
Proof must be presented of a Training Safety Course or a previous license stamp prior to receiving a license for any hunting, bow hunting or trapping.
For further information, visit the Department of Environmental Conservation website.
The DEC License Year begins October 1st and runs through September 30th.
Licenses and Fees (amounts are subject to change) Hunting / Fishing License Fees
The City Clerk's office is also responsible for issuing the following permits:
- Disabled Parking Permits: A form must be completed by your physician prior to obtaining a permit.
- Winter Parking: There are designated areas in the city where residents can park during the winter months.
Permits are issued on a 1st come / 1st serve basis.
- Snow Plow: Permits are needed if you will be plowing areas other than your own property. Permits are $5.00.
- Garage Sale: Permits are $2.50 each and are good for 3 consecutive days. Residents are allowed only two
(2) sales per year.
- Racing / Wagering (Bingo) : Please contact the City Clerk to discuss the procedure necessary to obtain a permit.
- Sidewalk / Driveway / Curb-cut / Street-opening / Tree: Fees vary depending on permit needed (average cost is $10.00)
- Vendor / Solicitors Permits: Please contact the City Clerk to discuss the procedure necessary to obtain a permit.
- Sign Permits: $50.00 per year