Office of the City Clerk
The Office of the City Clerk assists the taxpayers and residents of the City of Johnstown by providing a variety of diverse services. These services include: processing birth, death and marriage certificates, vendors/solicitors, games of chance/bingo, and several other municipal licenses; issue Conservation Licenses; the administration of elections within the City of Johnstown and, where law permits, providing access to city records.
The City Clerk serves as the Clerk to the Common Council and works with the legislative body in the management of agendas, meetings and other Charter-mandated activities.
The City Clerk is also appointed as the Records Management Officer: The Records Management Officer is the custodian of all permanent city records and provides for storage, retrieval and disposition of all records for the departments of the city.
To learn more about the general powers & duties of the City Clerk – view Section 8.0 of our Charter.
The City Clerk's office is responsible for issuing the following :
- Marriage Licenses: see below
- Vital Records (birth, marriage, death): see below
- Landfill Permits: City of Johnstown residents must apply for a permit to use the Fulton County Landfill on Mud Road.
Permits: $ 35.00 (valid from January 1st -December 31st)
Contact the City Clerk’s Office for questions or visit the Fulton County Dept. of Solid Waste.
- Dog Licenses: Dogs must be licensed by the age of 4 months.
*Proof of current rabies must be provided in order to license your dog.
- Disabled Parking Permits: A form must be completed by your physician prior to obtaining a permit.
- Winter Parking: There are designated areas in the city where residents can park during the winter months. Permits are issued on a 1st come / 1st serve basis, free of charge.
- Snow Plow: Permits are needed if you will be plowing areas other than your own property. Permits are $5.00.
- Garage Sale: Permits are $2.50 each and are good for 3 consecutive days. Residents are allowed only two (2) sales per year, with the exception of the city-wide garage sale where a permit is not required.
- Racing / Wagering (Bingo) : Please contact the City Clerk to discuss the procedure necessary to obtain a permit.
- Sidewalk / Driveway / Curb-cut / Street-opening / Tree: Fees vary depending on permit needed (average cost is $10.00)
- Vendor / Solicitors Permits: Applications are provided in the links below.
- Sign Permits: $50.00 per year
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
Send a check or money order, made payable to the “City of
Johnstown”, along with a written request and proper
Johnstown City Clerk,
PO Box 160 33-41 E. Main Street,
Johnstown New York 12095
Additional information can be found at the New York State Department of Health.
APPLICATIONS AND REQUEST FORMS
HUNTING & FISHING LICENSES